Report shows baby girl who died in possible co-sleeping case was sleeping with siblings

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office has released its report related to the death of a nearly five-month-old child who died on Sunday, January 24th in a possible co-sleeping case.

The baby girl was pronounced dead at 11:00 a.m. at a home near 21st and Lapham in Milwaukee.

The child was found unresponsive by her sister on Sunday morning.

According to the medical examiner's report, the baby's preliminary manner of death is "undetermined."

Officials with the Milwaukee Fire Department were dispatched to the home around 7:30 a.m. for a baby that wasn't breathing. No signs of trauma were noted on the baby. There were several adults and children in the home, and someone said the baby was sleeping with an aunt in a bed, prior to her death.

The medical examiner's reports indicate officials were told by family that the baby girl "always" slept with mom and a two-year-old sibling in a double bed. There was no crib or Pack 'n Play at the home.

The report indicates officials spoke with the baby girl's 15-year-old sister, who said at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, she moved into her mom's bed when her mom left for work. The 15-year-old girl said her baby sister was fine at that point, and that she was lying on her back between the 15-year-old and another sibling. The 15-year-old girl told officials the baby girl's head was on a pillow, and she was partially covered with a blanket.

The baby's mother left for work between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m., taking two children with her.

When they returned home, a 14-year-old sibling told officials she checked on her three sisters, who all appeared to be sleeping in bed. The 14-year-old girl said she noticed the baby girl's face was white and her lips were purple.

The baby girl's mother entered the room and grabbed the baby and tried to get her to react. When she did not, the report indicates the mother carried the baby downstairs to see if neighbors could help.

The report says the mother called 911 but apparently couldn't get through. 911 was reached by neighbors.

The report says the baby girl was examined at the scene, and she appeared in good health and well nourished. She was the youngest of five children.