Prosecutors: Man shot girlfriend in the head during argument while drinking with friends in Racine

David Cunningham

RACINE COUNTY -- Formal charges were filed Thursday, Aug. 22 against David Cunningham, 28, of Racine, a man prosecutors said shot his girlfriend in the head on Bate Street near Taylor Avenue on Sunday, Aug. 18.

Cunningham faces one count of attempted first degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon, domestic abuse assessments, and one count of possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a felony.

He made his initial appearance in court Thursday afternoon. Cash bond was set at $250,000, and a preliminary hearing was set for Aug. 29.

The criminal complaint said the victim was Cunningham's girlfriend, and she was shot in the head.

Police found the 34-year-old victim slumped against the refrigerator, and Cunningham was partially on the floor next to her. He had to be forcefully removed so first responders could tend to the victim.

The complaint said officers were advised "some unknown party had run up into the house, shot his girlfriend, and then fled the residence." Police said Cunningham changed his story, indicating he was in the bathroom and didn't know what happened.

Witnesses in the neighborhood said two people fled the home after the shooting. They advised that Cunningham came out onto the front porch, yelling for help, before going back inside.

The complaint said two witnesses told police they were at the home at the time of the shooting. A female witness said Cunningham was a co-worker, and he contacted her on Aug. 18 and asked if she wanted to spend the day drinking. She said Cunningham and another person came to pick her up, and they went to a liquor store, where they picked up some vodka, before going back to Cunningham's home. She said eventually, her boyfriend came over, and Cunningham "was acting jealous." She said Cunningham called her a name, and his girlfriend intervened, and an argument ensued. The witness said she and her boyfriend continued to drink and play video games, and they heard sounds coming from the bedroom, which led them to believe Cunningham was physically assaulting the victim. They soon left the bedroom and headed to the kitchen, and the witness said they both had firearms. The argument continued in the kitchen, according to the witness, who said she heard a loud "boom." The witness then heard Cunningham say, "No, baby. Get up! Wake up!" The witness went to the kitchen and saw the victim on the floor. She said Cunningham screamed that the police were coming and to, "Get the (expletive) out!"

At the time the complaint was written, the victim's condition was reported as grave, with some minor improvement. Police on Monday said she had a 50/50 chance of survival.

The complaint noted Cunningham was convicted of aggravated battery in a 2011 case, and was therefore prohibited from possessing a firearm.