MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Governor Scott Walker will not be charged in the nearly three-year-old investigation into his former aides and associates, according to Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm.
"After a review of the John Doe evidence, I am satisfied that all charges that are supported by proof beyond a reasonable doubt have now been brought and concluded,” Chisholm said in a statement. “As a consequence, last week my office petitioned for, and Judge Nettesheim has granted, the closure of the John Doe investigation."
The investigation dogged Walker through the polarizing recall election in 2012. It became rallying call for Democrats and the central theme of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett’s campaign for governor.
Throughout the process Walker insisted he was not a target of the investigation. Today, he says has been vindicated. "I am glad the process has been completed," Walker said in a statement. "As many may remember, this entire matter began when we asked the District Attorney to look into concerns we had with respect to Operation Freedom. We appreciate the effort that was undertaken and to bring appropriate matters to justice."
The John Doe investigation was a secret probe into Walker’s Milwaukee County staff that ensnared six former aides including Timothy D. Russell, Walker’s former chief of staff. Russell was sentenced to two years in prison for stealing money from a veteran’s group. Kelly Rindfleisch was sentenced to six months in jail for doing campaign work on county time.
Darlene Wink, Walker's constituent services coordinator at the county was also convicted of two misdemeanors for improper campaigning.
The investigation closed Thursday, February 21st.
Gov. Walker served as Milwaukee County Executive for eight years, before being elected governor in 2010. The John Doe investigation began six months before that.
CLICK HERE to read more about Gov. Scott Walker & the John Doe investigation