2021 gun deer hunt preliminary harvest totals: Wisconsin DNR

The 2021 nine-day gun deer hunt in Wisconsin kicked off the holiday season – and now, preliminary harvest registration, license sales, and hunting incident numbers are now available.

Preliminary registration totals

Preliminary figures show that hunters registered 175,667 deer during the 2021 nine-day gun deer hunt, including 84,952 antlered and 90,715 antlerless deer. Since archery seasons opened Sept. 18, hunters have registered 270,046 deer statewide, showing the growing influence of earlier seasons on cumulative harvest.

Compared to 2020, the total firearm deer harvest was down 7.9% statewide, with buck harvest down 1.3% and antlerless harvest down 13.2%. 

The Northern Forest management zone showed harvest increases from 2020 for both antlered and antlerless kills, while the other three zones showed declines in harvest. The Central Forest (-3.0%) and Central Farmland (-8.9%) had similar declines in total harvest from 2020 levels, while the Southern Farmland showed a larger decline in total harvest of 17.0%.

Adams County’s Central Farmland led the state with over nine deer registered per square mile. Vernon County led the Southern Farmland Zone with almost six deer registered per square mile. Oneida registered the most per square mile in the Northern Forest Zone at 4.5, and Eau Claire’s Central Forest registered almost 3.5 deer per square mile.

SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, breaking news emails from FOX6 News

While opening weekend saw mild temperatures throughout the state with some snow in the north, DNR staff across the state reported good weather throughout the season. Snow cover and frozen wetlands would have improved visibility and access for hunters.

Preliminary license sales totals

As of 11:59 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 28, sales for gun, bow, crossbow, sports and patron licenses reached 808,224. Of that total, 564,440 were for gun privileges, including gun, patron and sports licenses. The year-to-date sales for all deer licenses are down 1.5% from the same time last year.

Of the licenses sold to date, 60% of licenses were purchased online. The remaining 40% were sold in-person through transactions at DNR license agents locations. Deer hunting license and harvest authorization sales will continue throughout the remaining deer hunting seasons.

FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX6 News app for iOS or Android

More information regarding preliminary registration totals, including county-level numbers, is available on the DNR website here

2010-21 comparison of preliminary nine-day gun deer season registration totals is also available online.

2 Whitefish Bay police pursuits; 3 in custody, 1 vehicle reported stolen

Three people were taken into custody Monday, Nov. 29 following two police pursuits in Whitefish Bay.

Waukesha parade tragedy: Pickup center for missing items closes Monday

If you had items left at the scene such as chairs and blankets, they will be available for pick up at the Park, Recreation, and Forestry Department.

Wisconsin Snowplow Driver Appreciation Day; motorists urged to stay safe

Monday, Nov. 29 is Snowplow Driver Appreciate Day in Wisconsin – and motorists are urged to show appreciation by giving snowplow drivers space to safely do their job.