Yum! Angelica shows us how to prepare spaghetti squash with sausage and kale
In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica shows us how to prepare spaghetti squash with sausage and kale.
- Olive oil
- One (3 lb) spaghetti squash
- ¾ lb sausage (I use Italian sausage. You can also use turkey sausage for a healthier option)
- 1/3 to ½ minced red onion
- 3 cloves (or more) garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups thinly sliced kale
- grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 to 1 cup works)
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- Black pepper
- Sundried tomatoes, cut in little pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil the sheet pan.
2. With a sharp knife, slice off small portion of the ends of the spaghetti squash. Then stand the squash to cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Place squash cut halved cut-side down onto baking sheet. Poke the tops of the halves with a fork or sharp knife. (NOTE: I rubbed olive oil on both the inside and outside of the spaghetti squash so it can soften as it cooks.)
3. Bake for 30-45 minutes until you can poke the sides of the squash with a fork. Let squash cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape out the spaghetti-like strands of the squash and put aside in a bowl.
4. In a large pan, drizzle olive oil and sauté diced onions until it`s slightly soft. Then add the garlic.
5. Add the sausage and crumble until cooked and brown. Add the kale and cook for another minute or two.
6. Add the spaghetti squash strands to the sausage mixture and stir to combine. Cook for about another minute until squash is heated through.
7. Remove from heat and add grated Parmesan cheese and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Toss. Top with sundried tomatoes. Serve.