MILWAUKEE -- Last year the hottest healthy eats included green tea, cricket bars and almond butter. But it's a new year, and our registered dietitian Lisa Grudzielanke joins the show to talk about the five healthy food trends for 2016.
1) Root to Stem Eating
• Root to stem, which essentially means cooking that promotes the use of all parts of a vegetable.
2) Gourmet Beef Jerky
• The jerky industry has grown 46% since 2009
• Grass-fed, preservative-free is on the rise
• Gourmet flavor include Korean BBQ Beef, Ginger Teriyaki Chicken, Sweet Chili Pork
3) Spiced & Savory Yogurt
• Sugary yogurts are being replaced by warming spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and heat from peppers.
• Yogurt provides gut-friendly probiotics
• Microgreens are grown in soil, thereby absorbing the nutrients from the soil.
• Look for Microgreens next to salad greens and at farmer`s markets
• A pulse is an edible seed that grows in a pod.
• Pulses include all beans, peas and lentils
Shepherd Express' Woman Up! Health and Lifestyle Expo presented byAurora Health Care is back for its third year! Click here for more information.