Worker at Mental Health Complex accuses boss of harassment

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- An employee at the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex has accused her boss of sexual harassment -- saying she has been harassed for seven years, and no one has stopped it.

The allegations are that after several years, unwanted advances by the boss led to actual sexual contact. The employee says she feared if she didn't comply she would lose her job.

A complaint filed with the state includes a series of allegations about what went on inside the offices of the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex.

A discrimination complaint filed earlier this month accuses a high-ranking administrator at the facility of "a continuous intimidating and damaging campaign of sexual harassment" that began seven years ago. When the woman complained to a supervisor, that supervisor told her to speak with that administrator. The next day, that supervisor was fired.

In the fall of 2011, the woman says she felt she would lose her job if she did not comply with the administrator's sexual advances, so she gave in. The administrator allegedly forced the woman to do it again -- and the victim says there was endless harassment.

At times, the woman says the administrator would offer money for sex, saying: "What's it going to take? $300?"

In November of 2012, the woman says she recorded conversations in which the administrator made sexual comments and urged her to come to his office. She brought the recordings to Milwaukee County Human Resources officials and the Milwaukee Police Department.

In November of 2012, the administrator retired.

In a statement from the Director of Health and Human Services, Hector Colon says: "When I first became aware of this situation last year, I immediately launched an internal investigation and notified the proper law enforcement agencies. The accused person is no longer with Milwaukee County."

The woman in this case is currently on medical leave related to the alleged harassment.

The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office did an investigation lasting several months, but the District Attorney's Office says while there may be violations in workplace rules, there wasn't sufficient evidence for a criminal charge in this case.

The state is now reviewing the complaint.