Wauwatosa Fire officials say alert neighbor noticed fire, called 911

WAUWATOSA (WITI) -- Wauwatosa Fire officials say an alert neighbor noticed smoke coming from a home on Palmetto Avenue on Monday morning, March 24th -- and called 911.

Responding fire crews observed visible fire and smoke coming from the rear of the building.

The fire was under control within about 30 minutes.

Fire officials say the fire appears to have started due to smoking materials discarded into an outside trash bin, which quickly extended into the attic.

The home is said to have suffered moderate damage.

Fire crews were able to rescue the family cat from the home's basement.