"Very scary!" Report of subject with a gun prompts three-hour lockdown at MATC's downtown campus

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- "Building C" on MATC's downtown campus was temporarily locked down Thursday, October 9th following reports of a person with a gun. The all clear was given around 12:30 p.m.

MATC spokeswoman Kathleen Hohl tells FOX6 News that at 9:48 a.m. a report came into MATC's Public Safety Department indicating that a person with a weapon was spotted outside Building C.

Milwaukee police were called to the scene -- and Building C was placed on lockdown. The rest of the Downtown Milwaukee Campus was open and classes were held as scheduled during that time.

Students inside classrooms were told to stay put, turn off the lights and lock the doors. They didn't immediately know why precautions were being taken.

"Very scary and nervous because you don't know what's going on, if anyone is hurt. You don't know if anyone is trying to get in," a student said.

MATC sent out an email, text and phone call to students, faculty and staff members saying police were searching for someone with a weapon.

"As soon as we saw police officers running down the hallway, we didn't know if the guy was on the floor or what," a student said.

Around 12:30 p.m., Milwaukee police said the lockdown had been lifted and that no subject with a gun was found. This, following a sweep of the building.

When students learned the lockdown had been lifted...

"Everybody ran. Everyone just started running towards the door," a student said.

MATC issued the following statement on their website:

Milwaukee police have issued an all clear for the C Building on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus. The situation was investigated by MATC Public Safety and the Milwaukee Police Department and no threat was identified. The lockdown was a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff.

MATC officials say lockdown drills are regularly performed at the school -- saying standard procedure was followed in this case.

"Certainly we take it seriously and we want to make sure we maintain the safety of our students, faculty and staff," an MATC official told FOX6 News.

It is unclear whether police found the person or persons that prompted the lockdown.

Several students FOX6 News spoke with said they heard of an altercation outside the building involving two men -- one with a gun, who then entered Building C, but that information hasn't been confirmed by police.

The lockdown lasted about three hours.

"I just hope it doesn't happen again. Doesn't make the school look good at all," a student said.

Some students tell FOX6 News they are used to drills, and they say they knew what to do when they heard the message over the loudspeaker.