Two girls accused of plotting to kill friend, victim stabbed 19 times

WAUKESHA (WITI) -- 12-year-old Morgan Geyser, and 12-year-old Anissa Weier were charged as adults on Monday, June 2nd -- accused of stabbing another 12-year-old girl over the weekend. Apparently, all three of the girls in this case were friends.

The two 12-year-old girls are accused of plotting their friend's murder for months -- and attempting to kill her this weekend.

"Based on our investigation, it is believed that the suspects had planned to
kill the victim for several months. The Waukesha Police Department is deeply saddened that this 12-year-old girl had to suffer through this horrific crime," said Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack.

Each of the girls faces one count of attempted first degree intentional homicide as party to a crime -- and each faces 60 years in prison.

The girls made their initial appearance in court on Monday, June 2nd.

"Very adult consequences of the actions alleged in this case," a Waukesha County Court Commissioner said Monday.

The criminal complaint in the case says on Saturday, May 31st, a citizen called Waukesha police to report a stabbing -- after locating a girl on the sidewalk in the area of Rivera Drive and Big Bend Road.

The complaint says the girl told the man: "Help me, I've been stabbed."

The man called 911 and tried to apply pressure to her wounds -- and stayed until the Fire Department arrived.

CLICK the audio player just below to listen to the 911 call from this case.


Morgan Geyser

When officials spoke with the stabbing victim, the complaint says she told them she was stabbed in the woods by her best friend, Morgan Geyser.

The complaint says the victim suffered 19 stab wounds -- and was rushed into surgery at the hospital.

Doctors at the hospital reported she was "lucky to be alive" -- according to the complaint.

"One suspect held the victim down while the other suspect stabbed her 19 times in the arms, legs and torso. Many of the stab wounds struck major organs. But, incredibly and thankfully, the victim survived this brutal assault," Chief Jack said.

The complaint says police spoke with Weier -- who spoke about a website called "CreepyPasta."

Anissa Weier

The complaint says Weier explained this was a website that talked about horror stories -- and people can create their own stories.

It is on this website that Weier told police she learned about "Slenderman" -- the leader of CreepyPasta. Just below Slenderman is the killer. Just below the killer is the proxy. In order to be a proxy, Weier explained, you have to kill someone -- to show your dedication to Slenderman, according to the complaint.

The complaint says Weier told police many people do not believe Slenderman is real -- and she said she wanted to prove the skeptics wrong.

The complaint says Weier introduced Morgan Geyser to the CreepyPasta website -- according to the complaint.

The complaint says in December of 2013 or January of 2014, Geyser told Weier -- "We should become proxies of Slender." Weier told police she said: "Okay, how do we do that?"

That's when Weier told police Geyser said they needed to kill the victim in this case to prove themselves worthy to Slender, according to the complaint.

The complaint says in February, the girls decided they would kill the victim in this case on May 30th.

The complaint says the girls were able to learn that "Slender" lives in a mansion in the Nicolet National Park -- and the girls planned to kill the victim -- and then walk to Slender's mansion and become one of his proxies.

The complaint says on May 30th after school, Weier and Geyser packed up some items, and then Weier, Geyser, the victim and Geyser's father went to Skateland until about 9:30 p.m.

The complaint says the girls went to sleep in Geyser's room -- and there was apparently a plan to kill the victim when she was sleeping -- around 2:00 a.m.

However, the plan apparently changed.

The complaint says the next morning, May 31st, the girls decided to go to Davids Park -- and Weier told police Geyser grabbed a knife from the house before they went to the park.

The complaint says the girls took the victim into a bathroom at the park -- and Geyser handed Weier the knife.

The complaint says Weier told Geyser she "couldn't do it" -- and handed the knife back to Geyser, who then apparently had a nervous breakdown and Weier had to calm her down.

Later, the girls began to walk outside in the park -- and that's when Weier suggested they kill the victim in the woods.

The complaint says the girls decided to play hide-and-seek in the woods near Big Bend Road, south of Rivera Drive -- and that game led to the stabbing.

The complaint says initially, Weier sat on the victim -- restraining her, so that Geyser could stab her -- but Weier worried that the victim's yelling would attract attention, and she got off of the victim.

The complaint says Geyser tackled the victim and started stabbing her -- and eventually, the victim tried walking toward the street -- but the girls tried directing her away from the street.

The complaint says the girls left the scene and walked to Walmart on S. West Avenue.

"The suspects left the area on foot. The victim was able to crawl out of the woods onto the roadway near the end of Big Bend Road," Chief Jack said.

The complaint says police spoke with Geyser. She was asked who stabbed the victim, and Geyser said "both of us." The complaint says Geyser told police she thinks Weier stabbed the victim first -- and then Weier put the knife in her hand, and she stabbed the victim.

The complaint says Geyser told police Weier was very prepared to go with the plan to kill the victim -- but Geyser told police she herself found many flaws in the plan. Geyser also told police Weier had many plans -- and it was hard to keep track of all of them.

The complaint says when asked why they did what they did, Geyser told police they had to, or he would kill their family. When asked who "he" was, the complaint says Geyser said she did not know him.

The complaint indicates neither of the girls felt much remorse over what happened when speaking with police.

Geyser reportedly told police: "It was weird that I didn't feel remorse" -- and Weier said: "The bad part of me wanted her to die. The good part of me wanted her to live." This, according to the criminal complaint.

The knife was recovered after the girls were taken into custody. It was apparently in a purse that was sitting between the two girls, according to the complaint.

The complaint says Weier's father reported a knife missing from his residence.

The victim in this case remains in stable condition with multiple stab wounds.

This case has led Chief Jack to plead with parents to know what their children are doing and reading online.

"Both suspects had a fascination with a fictitious character that often posted to a website that is a collection of small stories about death and horror. Parents should not be allowing their children to have unrestricted or unmonitored internet usage --whether it be on their computer on their smart phone on their PlayStation. All of those accesses to the outside world," Chief Jack said.

This case is upsetting to many -- and the Waukesha School District says it is providing counselors for students who may need it.

In a statement, the district said: "We continue to promote and maintain safe schools for all students, including doing our best to monitor and address situations between students that can have tragic consequences."

Related stories: