Three in custody, accused of fleeing traffic stop, striking squad near Mitchell Airport

MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee County Sheriff's officials say three people were arrested -- accused of fleeing a traffic stop and striking a squad car on Thursday morning, February 25th. The incident led to a heavy police presence near General Mitchell International Airport.

It all began around 10:15 a.m.

Sheriff's officials say a deputy attempted a traffic stop on a vehicle with expired plates that was driving through a motel parking lot on Howell Avenue.

The vehicle fled, and struck the deputy’s vehicle near Howell and Grange.

Two male occupants jumped from the vehicle. Sheriff's officials say one reached into his waistband as the deputy approached, causing the deputy to fear for his life.

The 46-year-old deputy, with 23 years of service, fired at the subject who displayed a weapon and fled, leaving behind a firearm.

The second subject ran in another direction, where another deputy arriving to assist jumped from his vehicle, and drew his weapon when the subject reached for a weapon.  The subject dropped a handgun.  The deputy ordered the man to the ground, and he was arrested at the scene.  

"You see them tackling two people down on the ground after gunfire," said Schiavi.

A perimeter was established and a search was conducted by Milwaukee County Sheriff's officials, Milwaukee police, and US Marshals for driver of the vehicle, who left his license behind in the car.

He was apprehended earlier Thursday afternoon by the US Marshals Task Force when he tried to return to his home.  

Sheriff's officials tell FOX6 News there were no shots fired at deputies during this incident.

Both of the weapons the two male suspects had were recovered.

No one was hurt.

The driver, a 26-year-old Milwaukee man, faces charges of:

    If convicted, he faces up to 40 years in prison.

    Sheriff's officials say the driver had two warrants out for his arrest – felony "violation of paroles" for first degree recklessly endangering safety causing injury and armed robbery.  

    The other man who fled, a 27-year-old Milwaukee man, faces charges of:

      He faces up to 27 ½ years in prison.

      The female passenger, a 26-year-old Milwaukee woman, faces charges of:

        She faces up to 12 ½ years in prison. 

        Wisconsin State Patrol officials assisted with freeway patrol while deputies were diverted to the scene of the search.


        Southbound traffic on Howell Avenue was shut down as this investigation took place.

        The law enforcement activity made getting around in the area a bit difficult on Thursday.

        "I don`t really know what`s going on out here," one woman, who was trying to find the bus said.

        "It`s kind of odd. I was kind of curious as to what happened exactly," Brandon Weirauch, who works at Mitchell Airport said.

        Weirauch's normal route into work was roped off.

        "Normally the bus will just come straight up Howell -- but it got to about to where Van Norman is and it turned which is unusual. We sat over there for about 20 minutes or so and then she says 'OK, we`re going to go' and I thought we were just going to come turn in. Then I saw the squad car blocking the way and the cones up and I thought 'I have to get off and walk apparently,'" Weirauch said.

        Weirauch normally plans ahead so he can arrive at work early, which paid off on Thursday.

        "It`s probably going to take me 20 to 30 minutes to get there," Weirauch said.

        Monitor FOX6 News and for updates on this developing story.