Seven new ‘Anpanman’ films premiere on Tubi
CHICAGO - You may not have heard of him, but one of the world's most popular superheroes has a pastry for a head. And there's no time like the present to get acquainted with that bread-headed do-gooder.
On Sept. 10, Tubi announced the exclusive premiere of seven new films from TMS Entertainment’s "Anpanman" franchise. All seven of the new titles from the anime powerhouse are now available for both English and Spanish-speaking audiences.
The most popular character amongst Japanese children regardless of gender, Anpanman — a superhero with the head of an anpan, a popular Japanese pastry — is, per a press release, "a champion of justice who flies anywhere to help those in trouble, all the while keeping an eye out for his trusty nemesis, ‘Baikinman.’"
Audiences can now binge all seven titles, as well as two additional franchise titles already available on Tubi ("Purun, The Soap Bubble" and "Apple Boy and Everyone’s Hope"). In doing so, they’ll meet both Anpanman and his many, many, many friends — a roster that earned Anpanman’s world a spot in the Guinness World Records.
Read on for more on the titles exclusively premiering on Tubi, and start planning your binge-watch snacks now.
- The Adventure of Happie: "When Anpanman’s new apprentice, Happie, is swayed by Baikinman, Happie's whole village is in danger. Anpanman must set him straight, before all is lost." Also in Spanish.
- Star-Spirited Dollie: "When Anpanman saves Dollie, she gains life and just wants fun, even if it means bothering others. Meanwhile, Baikinman tries to build the strongest mold robot to defeat Anpanman." Also in Spanish.
- The Secret of Fairy Rin-Rin: "When Baikinman tricks the fairy Rin-Rin who protects the flower that gives Anpanman strength, everyone must go on a journey to find more flowers." Also in Spanish.
- Blacknose and the Magical Song: "An orphan, Cana, raised in darkness by evil Blacknose, tries to destroy the joys of singing, dancing, and yummy food. Can Anpanman make the kid see the light?" Also in Spanish.
- Revive Banana Island!: "Clouds and cold may ruin all the sweet fruit on Banana Island, but queen Banna refuses to ask Anpanman for help, while Baikinman goes to Banana Island in search of the legendary Giant Banana." Also in Spanish.
- Nanda and Runda from the Star of Toys: "The selfish princess Runda, accompanied by a kind robot, Nanda, loses her wand that turns things into toys and needs Anpanman’s help to find it." Also in Spanish.
- Shine! Kulun And The Stars Of Life: "Before the annual Star Festival, the mysterious Kulun pops out of Baikinman’s garbage bin and black stars fall, threatening life on Anpanman’s world." Also in Spanish.
Tubi has more than 35,000 movies and television series from over 250 content partners, including every major studio, in addition to the largest offering of free live local and national news channels in streaming. The platform gives fans of entertainment, news and sports an easy way to discover new content that is available completely free.
Tubi is available on Android and iOS mobile devices, Amazon Echo Show, Google Nest Hub Max, Comcast Xfinity X1, Cox Contour, and on OTT devices such as Amazon Fire TV, Vizio TVs, Sony TVs, Samsung TVs, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X | S, and soon on Hisense TVs globally. Consumers can also watch Tubi content on the web at http://www.tubi.tv/.
Tubi is owned by the FOX Corporation.
Make your own marathon with these free family movies on Tubi
Zapped (2014): Superstar-in-the-making Zendaya stars as a "teenager who struggles to adjust to her new stepfamily and school," whose life takes a turn "when a dog training app gives her the power to control boys." 92 minutes. Dir: Peter Deluise. Also features Chanelle Peloso and Spencer Boldman.
Tales of a Fifth Grade Robin Hood (2021): When a plucky kid (Chase Brown) in an under-funded school discovers that the vice principal (Jon Lovitz) has been skimming from school fundraisers, he and his merry friends set out to make things right. 84 minutes. Dir: Dylan Vox. Also features Stephen Kramer Glickman.
Shrek Forever After (2010): The big green guy makes a deal with Rumpelstiltskin; as you might suspect, that’s not a great idea. 93 minutes. Dir: Mike Mitchell. Featuring Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and Antonio Banderas.
About the writer: Allison Shoemaker is a Chicago-based pop-culture critic and journalist. She is the author of "How TV Can Make You Smarter," and a member of the Television Critics Association and the Chicago Film Critics Association. She is also a producer and co-host for the Podlander Presents network of podcasts. Find her on Twitter and Instagram at @allisonshoe. Allison is a Tomatometer-approved Top Critic on Rotten Tomatoes.