FOND DU LAC (WITI) – The puppies that suffered chemical burns after being doused in bleach are ready for adoption.
CLICK HERE to visit the Fond du Lac Humane Society’s website to view video of the puppies.
30-year-old Amanda Farr of Fond du Lac is facing seven charges -- including:
A criminal complaint in the case says officers were dispatched on Saturday, February 22nd to an apartment complex on Martin Avenue in Fond du Lac in reference to a cruelty to animals complaint.
There, they spoke with an individual who told them he had gone outside to place garbage in the community dumpster, when he heard a whimpering sound coming from a trash bag inside the dumpster.
The complaint says the man was able to retrieve the trash bag and noticed that inside was a second trash bag, filled with trash and a puppy.
The man told police he noticed a strong odor of bleach coming from the puppy. He said he and another individual took the puppy inside, and began rinsing the puppy with water, according to the complaint.
Officers discovered two additional puppies and two adult dogs inside an apartment there.
The three puppies discovered on Saturday are six-week-old American Staffordshire Terriers.
Two of the puppies suffered serious injuries as a result of being doused in bleach — though one of the puppies was spared from injury entirely.
The initial veterinary examinations were performed on February 22nd — the same day the puppies were discovered.
The complaint says the intake exam for Tina showed approximately three hours of contact with bleach without care, labored breathing, chemical burns to the face and eyes, eyes swollen shut, and other medical concerns. The Humane Society also learned Tina’s tear ducts were not functioning because of exposure to bleach.
An examination the next day showed Tina was dehydrated, her eyes were inflamed and bloody, the nose/throat area was bloody with abnormal noisy breathing. Additionally, a veterinarian noticed tongue ulcers and labored breathing, according to the complaint.
The complaint says on Feburary 26th, Tina was examined again. Tina was found to still have chemical burns along her face, respiratory difficulty and other medical ailments related to exposure to bleach.
An examination on Wednesday, March 5th showed injuries to Tina’s eyes and tear ducts appear to be resolved.
As for Turner, his intake veterinary examination on February 22nd showed he was estimated to have been exposed to bleach for approximately three hours with the air temperature in the dumpster estimated to be around 22 degrees, according to the complaint.
The complaint says Turner was noted to have labored breathing, with chemical burns to his face and eyes. The examination showed his eyes were inflamed, and he had severe noisy breathing with a bloody nose and throat.
The report showed a “good portion” of Turner’s lungs were not inflating, according to the complaint.