Police release squad video after high speed chase

GREENDALE -- Police have released video of a high-speed chase that occurred early Tuesday morning, April 24th. Police were trying to catch two suspects allegedly trying to steal tires and rims from a car at the Rosen Nissan dealership near 27th and Grange.

The two suspects fled the Nissan dealership in a red Nissan, heading west down Grange Avenue at speeds up to 100 miles per hour.

The red Nissan ended up making a turn onto Loomis Rd., flew across all incoming lanes, and crashed in a ditch. After crashing their vehicle, the suspects got out of the car and fled the scene on foot.

Officers were able to track down the 23-year-old suspect — because it was his car the two ditched near Loomis Rd.

When deciding how to handle a chase, Greenfield Police Sergeant Ray Radakovich says the choices are clear. "The options the officer is going to have is two: either disengage in the pursuit or continue pursuing, following our policy," Radakovich said.

Squad car video released to FOX6 News shows in last Tuesday's incident, police in both Greenfield and Greendale chose to keep going. Because it was early in the morning, there was hardly any traffic, which is one of many things a supervisor takes into account.

"At two in the morning, with very light or moderate traffic, the pursuit will likely be allowed to go a little farther. Two in the afternoon or rush hour, we may terminate the pursuit immediately, just for the safety of the people that are around us," Radakovich said.

Once they're involved in a chase, Radakovich said another key question determines how aggressive officers get. "Why am I stopping this car? Was it just involved in a violent felony or am I stopping it because the registration is expired by two months?" Radakovich said.

In Tuesday's case, all police had to do was pursue. After reaching speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, the driver lost control on a turn and crashed into a ditch. "Although we have a duty to apprehend the person who has just committed a violation of the law, it's more important they also go home at night," Radakovich said.

Greendale police are still looking for the second suspect - a 28-year-old Milwaukee man.

Related stories: