Oak Creek home damaged after dryer starts fire in basement

OAK CREEK -- An Oak Creek home was damaged after overnight fire in the basement. The fire broke out just before 1 a.m. Thursday, on Amber Ln. forcing a family out of the home.

Officials say the fire started in a dryer located in the basement of the home. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the basement.

The family living in the home was able to get out safely. They were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission about 15,000 dryer fires start every year causing hundreds of injuries. Here are some tips to prevent it from happening in your home: clean the lint filter before and after every load of clothing.

If your clothing is taking longer than usual to dry, it could be a sign that the exhaust duct is blocked. So, clean the exhaust duct and also clean the outside dryer vent. Don't forget to clean lint from behind the dryer. The lint can build-up trapping heat, which can cause a fire.