No criminal charges to be filed in connection with death of Sarah Brucker

WAUKESHA COUNTY (WITI) -- No charges will be filed in connection with the fire that led to the death of 36-year-old Sarah Brucker -- a popular Milwaukee-area makeup artist and business owner. This, according to a letter written by Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel. That letter says there is no evidence of a crime in this case.

Documents, including search warrants had suggested the five-alarm fire that broke out at Brucker's Delafield home back in August may have been suspicious, but after an investigation taking more than four months, prosecutors say that's not the case.

The letter from the District Attorney states that all reports related to the August 7th fire in Delafield in which Brucker was killed were reviewed, and the District Attorney "did not find any evidence of any criminal activity."

"We don't know the cause of the fire, and it's likely we will never know. We have found no evidence that the fire was maliciously set or intentionally set," Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel told FOX6 News on Thursday.

Fire crews were called to Brucker’s home on Maple Ave. in Delafield just before 9 p.m. on August 7th, and over a dozen fire departments responded. Brucker’s body was discovered in the fetal position, with her back to the wall inside the home -- near an exit.

Toxicology reports revealed Brucker had a BAC of .277 -- more than three times the legal limit.

A final Medical Examiner's report concluded Brucker's cause of death to be soot and smoke inhalation.

Schimel says only 25 minutes after Brucker's last phone call, the home was totally engulfed. He says the age of the building and building materials contributed to the speed and intensity of the blaze.

So why wasn't Brucker able to utilize the exit near where her body was found?

Schimel's letter says: "During the initial stages of the investigation, we shared concerns about the inability of the deceased victim to exit the residence.  We will never know exactly why she was not able to make her way to the nearby exit, but it is clear that she died as a result of soot and smoke inhalation, and there are no other evident injuries.  She had a very high blood alcohol concentration, which may have played a role in her inability to exit.  It is also possible that the building simply went up in flames so quickly that she was not able to see or panicked."

The letter also indicates there was no evidence found as to any type of accelerant having been used in this case -- and there were no individuals identified as having a motive, opportunity and means to set the fire.

The District Attorney says investigators looked into the last people to see Brucker alive -- including there whereabouts at the time of the fire.

"Utilized cell phone technology to track down where people were at various points in time," Schimel said.

Brucker left behind two young children who were with their father, Brucker’s estranged husband, on the night of the fire.