"Just put the guns down:" Sierra Guyton's mother calls for end to violence after daughter passes away

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Nearly two months after she was shot in the head while playing on a playground near 28th and Clarke -- just feet from her home, 10-year-old Sierra Guyton passed away this weekend. She was pronounced dead at Children's Hospital at 1:35 a.m. Sunday, July 13th. A vigil was held for Monday evening in Sierra's honor.

"She was a very happy child and I am going to miss her very much," Lois Sneed said.

The kids in Room 26 at Clarke Street Elementary School called Sneed, their classroom volunteer "Grandma."

Sneed says it's still hard to believe that one of the kids in her classroom won't be there in the fall.

10-year-old Sierra Guyton has lost her life after she was shot in the head while playing on the playground on a beautiful spring day.

She was caught in the crossfire as two men allegedly engaged in a gun battle near the playground.

Those who live in the neighborhood say no child has played on that playground since May 21st -- the day Sierra was shot.

Lois Sneed says Sierra wrote her a letter that day -- apologizing for being rude.

On her iPod, Sneed recorded the children coming back from recess. Sierra is seen in the viddo -- wearing purple. In class, Sierra joked for the camera -- saying she wanted to be on TV.

Sneed says that video is now a precious reminder of how a young life is now gone.

Sneed says she prayed with the class after the shooting.

"Some had nightmares and some were actually there on the playground when Sierra was actually shot and the memories these kids have to deal with now," Sneed said.

After Sierra Guyton was taken off life support on June 25th, she died on Sunday.

"I just pray that everyone just keep their children safe. It's so hard right now. I can't explain how I wouldn't bear this on no one. I would not bear this on no one," Sierra's mother, LaTanya Anderson said.

Anderson thanks the community for their support, and wants everyone to hear this message: "I just ask, can you all please put down the guns? Just put the guns down."

The District Attorney's Office is again reviewing this case -- and in the coming days, we will learn whether the two men charged in connection with the shooting will have their charges amended due to the fact that Sierra has now died.

Currently, 18-year-old Sylvester Lewis faces three felony charges: first degree reckless injury, first degree recklessly endangering safety, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

28-year-old Jamey Jackson faces one felony count of possession of a firearm by a felon.

The vigil for Sierra Guyton began at 7:45 p.m. at 28th and Clarke.

CLICK HERE to read a collection of stories related to the shooting of 10-year-old Sierra Guyton via FOX6Now.com.