"It was rough:" Quart of eggnog in 12 seconds sends man to the hospital for three days!

UTAH (WITI) -- A Utah man nearly died after chugging too much eggnog at his office's holiday party.

KSL 5 TV in Utah reports Ryan Roche was hospitalized for three days and nearly out of commission for the holidays after what he calls a "spur of the moment kind of thing."

He was at his office's holiday party with his wife and kids when "they busted out some eggnog," according to KSL.com.

An eggnog chugging contest was underway.

"I've already decided if I'm going to do it, I'm going to win," Roche told KSL 5 TV.

The record was 22 seconds. A steakhouse gift card was on the line, and it was Roche's turn.

"I pretty much poured it down," Roche told KSL.

Roche drank a quart of eggnog in 12 seconds.

A few hours after returning home, Roche says he knew something was wrong.

"I was pretty much shaking uncontrollably. I was shaking so badly I was nauseous and my breathing became a pant," Roche told KSL.

Roche ended up in the hospital, where doctors told him he was "dry drowning" after aspirating eggnot into his lungs, according to KSL.

The liquid in Roche's lungs was starting an infection. Roche was in intenstive care for 24 hours with a fever, sweats and chills.

"It was rough. Eggnog is not ideal for the lungs," Roche told KSL.

Roche did win that steakhouse gift card, but at quite a price!

"Not only did I get a gift card, I got a three night's stay in the hospital," Roche said.

CLICK HERE for much more on this story via KSL.com.