Fire officials battle electrical fire at Fond du Lac home

FOND DU LAC (WITI) -- Fond du Lac Fire officials on Sunday evening, March 9th responded to an electrical fire that caused damage to a home.

The fire broke out at 76 E. Merrill Avenue.

Upon arrival, fire crews were met by residents who said an electrical outlet was on fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire -- but not before it caused damage to the home.

The residents affected are staying with friends overnight.

Fire officials say it appears the fire was caused by an overloaded electrical outlet in an upstairs room.

Alliant Energy was called to the scene and secured both electric and gas to the house until repairs can be made.

Firefighters found a smoke alarm upstairs, but a battery was missing.

Firefighters plan to canvass the neighborhood on Monday to spread fire safety information to residents in the area.