Chef Feker joins FOX6 WakeUp to present a new summer salad that is made with roasted beets.
IL MITOs Roasted Beets
Roasting beets is much easier then you think. I personally use a moist roasting process and I always roast enough beets so that I have some on hand in the refrigerator, since beets are such a versatile and complimenting ingredient.
• 3 medium beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 sprig of rosemary
• 1 Bay leaf
• 1/2 cup of white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and place the rack in the middle.
2. Rinse the beets and trim off any leafy tops, then drizzle with oil and rub to completely coat the beet, season with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan, drizzle the wine around the beets, add the rosemary and the bay leaf and then wrap the pan completely with aluminum foil.
3. Place in the oven and roast until tender (you will be able to easily pierce the beet with a
knife) about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and let cool, covered.
4. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them using a paring knife or by pushing
the skin with your fingers (make sure you wear a glove).
5. Slice the beets, drizzle with some great EVOO and balsamic, season with sea salt and
freshly ground black pepper if desired and enjoy as you wish.