Boys seriously burned while roasting marshmallows when one threw gasoline onto bonfire

FITCHBURG, Mass. (AP) — Two Massachusetts boys who were roasting marshmallows suffered serious burns when one of them threw gasoline onto a bonfire.

Officials say 14-year-old Jameson Carroll and his 11-year-old brother, Jaxon, were enjoying the bonfire in their backyard on Saturday evening, November 15th when the accident happened.

Deputy Fire Chief Thomas Dateo says the boys' mother was inside the family home getting more marshmallows when one of the boys threw a gas container onto the fire to make it bigger. The container exploded. The boys' mother and a neighbor put out the flames.

Authorities say Jaxon suffered first- and second-degree burns to his face, while Jameson has less-serious burns to his legs. The brothers are listed in stable condition at Shriners Hospitals for Children in Boston.