Boy whose story went viral after he found true love while fighting cancer dies: "Most definitely a hero"

VIRGINIA -- In November, FOX6 News told you about David Spisak, a dying eight-year-old boy who found the love of his life -- a second-grade classmate named Ayla. Spisak said he knew he loved the little girl because his heart told him so. Now, we have learned Spisak has passed away.

Spisak's heartwarming story about finding his true love got national attention. Ayla stood by his side during his battle with cancer.

"In art class, I told her I liked her and she just had a surprised face -- so we started dating," Spisak said in November.

Once the boy was pulled from class due to his health -- his classmates sent cards home for him. As he and his parents looked through those cards, they found quite a few from Ayla.

In those cards, Ayla stressed how much she loved and missed Spisak. And even some of the cards from other children indicated the girl was missing him.

When Spisak's parents asked him about Ayla, he described her the best way he could.

"She kinda looks like Snow White. Actually, she is kinda like the real Snow White because she is so kind to everybody, especially me -- because she loves me," Spisak said.

When asked how he knows he loves her, Spisak replied by saying: "My heart."

"His heart tells him," Ayla said.

Spisak's mom Amber reached out to Ayla's mom Angela -- and together, they realized how important the connection is between their children.

"She`s definitely had an impact on his spirit, and I haven`t seen this side of him in a long time. Certainly at eight years old, you don’t think that they’ll have a first love or a first kiss or a first date -- and it was just something that I accepted wasn’t going to happen. But it did," Amber Spisak said in November.

David Spisak and Ayla went on their first date late last year.

The young boy called up the young girl, and invited her to go bowling. He gave her a teddy bear and roses, and he even got a little kiss on the cheek -- his first kiss.

During their date, Ayla pushed Spisak around in his wheelchair, helped him bowl and they shared pizza together. The boy was able to get out of his wheelchair and walk for the first time in a month.

"The best part was watching the way they just needed to be close to each other and their conversation never got shy or quiet. That was all they needed to be happy," Amber Spisak said.

"Their story is definitely something everyone can learn from. Just to love. Because that’s what’s important. At the end of every day, that’s what’s important -- who loves you and who you love back," Angela Andrews said.

David Spisak was diagnosed with cancer when he was two. He had two transplants, including one from his 10-year-old sister, and still his cancer returned three times.

When he was diagnosed for a fourth time in March of 2015, Spisak's parents made the decision to stop treatments and let him live as normal and happy a life as he could.

On Thursday, February 11th, Spisak's family shared the sad news of his passing on Facebook. He lived nearly 10 months longer than doctors ever expected.

"There's never been a morning with such sadness as today and no words will do it justice but I'll try. Our little man's last moments were laying with his mommy and daddy in the middle of the night, with a house full of family, friends and loved ones after days of being surrounded by love. This day was supposed to come about 9-10 months ago but David just wasn't done living yet so he made his own timeline and defied the rules. The almost 7 years of cancer were so very hard but nothing like the last few days. Molly got to say goodbye to her baby brother as soon as it was clear the moment was close and she made sure to set a certain stuffed animal next to him before she left for Grammy's. Yesterday, he was already no longer "David," didn't know who was speaking to him and none of his words made sense; I guess your mind takes you away before your body lets you go, a self-protective thing. But those of us who heard it will never forget the feeling we felt hearing the last clear thing he said yesterday morning, mixed up with the other random comments, was "David wants to be a hero." I'm not ready to say things happen for a reason or a message of rainbows and sunshine just yet, but our baby boy was a fighter, a beautiful soul, a force to be reckoned with and of all the things, he is most definitely a hero. Rest easy sweet boy, you fought an unfair fight with the strength of a thousand soldiers that I could've never done...but you did it with grace; no more struggling. Just rest."