Bloomington, IN police say Eddie Callaway shot, killed himself

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Police in Bloomington, Indiana say 26-year-old Eddie Callaway, the man charged in connection with the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Shanel Negron, shot and killed himself when confronted by Bloomington police Tuesday night, April 30th.

According to police, at approximately 10:30 p.m., an officer with the Bloomington Police Department was in the area of W. 2nd Street and College when an Indiana State Police detective flagged the officer down and indicated that he recognized a male who was wanted by U.S. Marshals on an active warrant.

The suspect was described as a black male on a blue bicycle who had left the area going north on the B-Line Trail. Another Bloomington Police Department officer located the suspect and intercepted him where the B-Line Trail crosses North Fairview Street just south of West 11th Street.

The suspect was ordered off of his bicycle and was being held on the ground at gunpoint until additional back-up officers arrived. Upon the arrival of a back-up officer, both observed the suspect reach toward his waistband and retrieve a weapon despite verbal commands to keep his hands outstretched away from his body. The suspect then shot himself in the head and was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.

Callaway allegedly shot and killed Negron in Waukesha Monday, April 22nd near N. Moreland Boulevard and Summit Ave.

According to the criminal complaint, several witnesses heard a gun shot(s) near N. Moreland Blvd. and Summit Ave. around 7:15 p.m. April 22nd. The suspects further indicated they saw a woman, later identified as Negron, lying on the walkway and a black male fleeing the scene.

According to the complaint, one witness told police they were traveling northbound on N. Moreland Blvd. near Summit Ave. when they saw a black male shove Negron out of a home while reaching for something in their right hand. The witness then stated they heard a “pop, pop,” and Negron fell straight back.

Family members of Negron, or Nani as she was called, told FOX6 News they knew Callaway to be controlling. They say they never expected anything like this. Family members say Negron and Callaway dated off and on for about two years. They say Negron was known for her contagious laugh and that she was an extremely devoted mother to her three-year-old daughter.

"I think the most tragic part of this entire incident when it comes to the case as a whole is that right now, we have a three-year-old little girl who doesn't have a mother anymore," Dennis Angle with Waukesha police said.

Related stories: