66-year-old Waterford man accused of sexual assault of special needs child

TOWN OF WATERFORD (WITI) -- 66-year-old Wayne Stade of Waterford faces one count of sexual assault of a child under age 12 -- a felony charge.

The incident occurred on Friday, March 28th, 2014 at a home in the Town of Waterford.

A criminal complaint says a Racine County Sheriff's deputy was dispatched to the home. Upon arrival, the deputy spoke with the victim's father -- who was "visibly shaking and crying" and said he didn't know that his daughter, who has special needs, had a half day at school and had come home early via the bus.

The complaint says the victim's father told the deputy that when he came home, he saw the girl standing at her bedroom window "looking very scared." He said when he came into the house, the girl was fixing her jeans, and trying to zip her zipper.

The complaint says the victim's father told the deputy the girl was crying, grabbed her private area and pointed to Stade -- who was exiting the girl's bedroom.

The complaint says the girl's father asked her if Stade had touched her -- and she said "yes."

According to the complaint, Stade was "very nervous" and came out of the room "pulling at his pants and trying to zip up his pants."

The victim's father told officials Stade is an alcoholic, and "always makes sexual comments," according to the complaint. The complaint says the victim's father told the deputy he would not leave Stade alone with children.

The complaint says Stade appeared to be intoxicated on the date of the sexual assault -- as his eyes were red and glassy, and his words were slow and slurred -- and he was agitated and aggressive.

The complaint says the victim in this case is not very verbal, and is handicapped.

The girl was taken to the hospital for an examination.

FOX6 News spoke with a man who knows the victim in this case. He did not want to identify himself.

"Very quiet -- always has a smile. It just appalls me. I have no words for it. This is a shock. This is a shock. He needs help," the man said.

FOX6 News spoke with another man, who said he knows Stade. In fact, he says Stade used to work at Waterford Union High School -- as a custodian. Stade's former boss says he retired from his position there about seven to 10 years ago, adding that he never demonstrated the kind of behavior he's now accused of while working at the school.

"That's just despicable. That's just absolutely disgusting. I've lived here my whole life and I went to school here. I can remember him being a custodian. I hope he's never able to walk free again -- I'll tell you that much," the man said.

If convicted in this case, Stade faces a maximum of 60 years in prison.