14-year-old boy pulled from home after fire, revived by paramedics



MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Firefighters on Thursday, January 2nd rescued a 14-year-old Milwaukee boy from a house fire -- and saved the boy's life. Firefighters pulled the boy from his home on 37th Street, and the boy was unresponsive and had no pulse -- but paramedics were able to revive him.

The fire broke out at the home near 37th and Chambers Thursday afternoon. The initial call for the fire came in just before 1:00 p.m.

Fire crews didn't see any smoke or flames initially, but noticed black staining on the glass of the windows on the second floor of the home.

Fire officials say the fire started on the second floor -- and this was where the boy was located.

Downstairs residents of the two-family duplex told firefighters the boy was upstairs. When firefighters reached him, he had no pulse -- but paramedics were able to revive him.

"So that's all good news. I just caution everybody not to celebrate yet because carbon monoxide is very bad stuff and creates significant brain injuries -- so we don't consider it a save until he walks out of the hospital," Milwaukee Fire Battalion Chief Sean Slowey said.

Brandon Gonzalez-Galarza saw the teen family members identify as Naiza Love-Roy being brought out of the home.

"It looked like he was so weak, so weak -- and immediately I started praying," Gonzalez-Galarza said.

Chief Slowey says besides the smoke inhalation, the teen had some minor burns -- so it is likely the teen was in the room where the fire broke out -- and there is speculation he may have tried to put it out.

"When we found him, he was in the hallway -- totally removed from the fire. The fire was in the dining room. He was in the hallway off the kitchen -- between the kitchen and the bathroom," Chief Slowey said.

Chief Slowey says the home did not have smoke detectors.

The hope is now that Love-Roy pulls through.