"It's not you, it's me:" Some behaviors you might want to bust to avoid another breakup
MILWAUKEE -- Have you ever heard these words: It's not you, it's me? What if it really is you?! Local matchmaker Katie Schmidt with "It's Just Lunch" joins Real Milwaukee with the top five most overlooked relationship killers.
Putting Yourself Down
• No one wants to hear someone drone on and on about how unhappy they are about their looks, their weight or their job.
• Having a good attitude makes people want to be around you and spend time with you.
Venting Too Much
• It`s good to be able to get things off your chest, but it`s important to know when to say 'when'.
Checking Your Phone Constantly
• This is such a big issue that there`s actually a new term for it: 'Phubbing' or 'phone snubbing'.
• It`s a huge turnoff and sends the signal that you`re distracted and not really interested in what the other person has to say.
• No one likes to be ignored. Turn off the phone and put it completely away -- especially when you`re on a date. Be present and be engaged in the conversation.
Getting TOO Comfortable with Each Other
• This is for the people who may have been in a relationship for a while. It`s easy to get into a routine and become too relaxed.
• Being relaxed is one thing, but you don`t want to get so comfortable you stop making an effort.
• Are you paying attention to how you dress when you`re with your partner? Are you wearing sweatpants around them more than anything else? Skipping your makeup? Skipping the gym?
• You don`t have to get dolled up every day, but make the effort when you have a date night -- or just because.
• It shows respect toward the other person, and that goes a long way toward making a relationship last.
Keeping a Messy/Smelly Home
• A recent survey said that having a smelly home was the top deal breaker for both men and women.
• Other deal breakers listed in that same survey are -- having a grimy bathroom, dirty laundry lying around and having ripped or damaged upholstery.
• Get rid of that old college furniture and tidy the place up before a date!