Washington pleads guilty in Shorewood murder case

SHOREWOOD (WITI) -- A man accused of a murder in Shorewood pleaded guilty on Tuesday, November 26th.

21-year-old Homer Washington is charged in the murder of 57-year-old Clarence Charles.

The discovery of Charles’ body inside a Shorewood apartment marked Shorewood’s first homicide in 20 years.

Washington faces one count of first degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon, and operating a vehicle without owner’s consent (take & drive – with admission).

The criminal complaint in the case says Charles’ cell phone was found in pieces in the 2000 block of N. 7th Street in Milwaukee.

The man who found the phone pressed the button and called a contact labeled “Mom,” and reached Charles’ mother, who reported Charles had been missing.

Officers conducting a welfare check on Charles discovered his body inside an apartment on N. Oakland Avenue.

An autopsy revealed five stab wounds to Charles’ abdomen, one stab wound to the left abdomen, one stab wound to the right neck area, and six stab wounds to the throat.

A Medical Examiner ruled Charles died from blood loss due to multiple stab wounds.

The criminal complaint in the case says a neighbor went over to Charles’ apartment on July 16th, and saw Washington there. He told officials he believed the two were having a spat, according to the complaint.

The complaint says officials were able to interview Washington, who said he was at Charles’ apartment the day he died, and said the two were having an argument, during which Washington told officials Charles had accused him of “fooling around” with another man.

According to the complaint, the two argued for several minutes, before Charles wanted to have sex with Washington, and the two went into the bedroom.

The complaint says Washington had trouble performing in the bedroom — and the two put in a pornographic movie, at which time Washington continued to struggle. Washington told officials Charles was getting angry with him, according to the complaint.

The complaint says at this point, Charles went into the kitchen and let Washington know his pizza was ready.

Then, the complaint says Charles came back into the bedroom with a knife — according to Washington’s statement to officials.

The complaint says Washington told officials Charles punched him in the back of the head, before the two began struggling over the knife.

Washington told officials Charles stabbed himself in the neck, and then pulled the knife out of his neck. Washington told officials Charles said to him: “Your life is over” — according to the complaint.

The criminal complaint says Washington told officials he choked and stabbed Charles to prevent him from screaming.

The complaint says he heard a neighbor outside and panicked, and did not get help for Charles because he was scared.

Washington told officials he left the apartment through a window, before driving away in Charles’ vehicle, which he later sold for $250, according to the complaint.