Illinois man accused of throwing brutal, knockout punch near UWW campus sentenced to prison

WALWORTH COUNTY -- An Illinois man, accused of brutally punching a man near the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus in March of 2014 has been sentenced to prison.

22-year-old Michael Beasley-Hart on Monday, April 25th was sentenced to serve one year and six months in prison, and two years extended supervision.

This, after Beasley-Hart in January of 2016 pleaded guilty to a felony charge of substantial battery -- intentionally causing bodily harm.

Beasley-Hart has been ordered to pay $22,378 in restitution in this case, and has been ordered to have no contact with the victim.

Beasley-Hart in January pleaded guilty to a felony charge of bail jumping in a separate case -- and was sentenced to serve three years probation in that case on April 25th.

In all, Beasley-Hart will serve the one year and six months in prison, and a total of five years extended supervision.

Kollin Kozik, the man Beasley-Hart was convicted of brutally punching shared pictures with FOX6 News.

The incident happened on March 2nd, 2014.



Kozik was hit hard enough to eventually lose two teeth. The strength of the impact forced his bottom teeth through his lip -- requiring surgery.

Some of the pictures taken of Kozik after he was hit were too graphic for television.

Prosecutors said Beasley-Hart, a UW-Whitewater student, threw "a full knockout punch" -- according to court documents.

Kozik told FOX6 News he had never met Beasley-Hart.

After the punch, Kozik had a tooth extracted -- and temporary and permanent bridges put in. He said he may have permanent nerve damage, and had difficulty chewing solid foods -- even months after it happened. He expected his medical bills to eclipse $10,000.

According to court documents, Beasley-Hart told police he was retaliating after a friend was hurt -- but officers reviewed a text message sent to him from a friend, reading: "You have no idea who you hit. You just came out swinging."