FOND DU LAC (WITI) -- The Fond du Lac Humane Society has offered an update on puppies fighting for their lives after they were reportedly doused in bleach.
Fond du Lac police on Saturday, February 22nd were alerted to a puppy found doused in bleach, inside a garbage bag in a dumpster at an apartment complex on Martin Road.
Officers discovered two additional puppies and two adult dogs inside an apartment there.
The three puppies discovered on Saturday are six-week-old American Staffordshire Terriers.
Two of the puppies suffered serious injuries as a result of being doused in bleach -- though one of the puppies was spared from injury entirely.
Now, we are learning the puppies received veterinary examinations on Wednesday, February 26th -- and according to the Fond du Lac Humane Society, the puppies' condition has "much improved."
The Fond du Lac Humane Society offered the update on its Facebook page on Wednesday, saying:
"There is still a rattle in their lungs and they are easily winded, but every day they head just a little bit more in the right direction. They will remain on antibiotics and canned puppy chow -- as it is much easier to digest and to swallow with the ulcers in the mouth and on the tongue, as well as the injuries to the throat and stomach from having swallowed bleach. We will also continue to treat the eyes, but it will be several days before we know if there will be any long-term damage. Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and support you continue to show us, as well as the support you show for the innocent little ones who do not have a voice of their own!!!"
Additionally, the Fond du Lac Humane Society has offered information for those looking to donate to the puppies' care.
Via it's website, donations are being accepted via the "Sweetie Medical Fund" -- which provides emergency veterinary care for shelter pets.
Officials with the Fond du Lac County Humane Society say its phone has been ringing off the hook since Saturday — with folks looking for an update on the puppy named “Ike” — the only puppy not injured in this incident.
“He seems to have avoided this incident altogether,” Shelter Manager Renee Webb said.
Ike’s sister’s eyes are swollen. She has ulcers in her mouth and on her tongue.
Her brother is in worse shape — with similar injuries and chemical burns.
“At any point, either one of their lungs could just quit,” Webb said.
Webb says Ike’s brother and sister were doused with bleach.
FOX6 News spoke with a woman on Monday, February 24th who says she was watching the puppies for her ex-boyfriend.
She says she believes her eight-year-old son was bitten by a puppy, and splashed what he thought was water onto the dogs.
The boy then placed one dog in a bag, and threw it away.
“We’re talking about bleach, which is caustic. It’s not…it’s not good,” Webb said.
The Fond du Lac County Humane Society says it has fielded at least a half dozen calls from folks looking to adopt Ike.
Additionally, Humane Society officials say the response from the community, in terms of donations, has been incredible.
“It has everyone absolutely touched. Thank you. Thank you very much,” Webb said.