Family of 10-year-old girl killed in crash speaks out

MILWAUKEE -- A five-year-old girl remains in the hospital after a deadly crash that killed her 10-year-old sister. The girls' mother, 22-year-old Brandy Allen was driving around 2:00 a.m. on the day after Christmas, when the vehicle slammed into a parked semi truck near 21st and Atkinson. Now, a family is trying to come to grips with 10-year-old Brianna Johnson's death just after the holiday weekend.

FOX6's Sharita Erves spoke with Brianna Johnson's cousin, Marquis Tribune. He's mourning the death of his young cousin after she lost her life in a deadly crash on the day after Christmas. "To lose a child so young, at an early age like that, is always terrible on anyone's family, especially ours because we are a pretty tight-knit family. Brianna was very outgoing and loving. Everyone in the family loved her," Tribune said.

The Medical Examiner's report says Allen told police she became distracted by her daughter in the back seat, asking her about a toy she received for Christmas. The report says Allen turned to look toward the back seat, just before hitting the semi trailer. A preliminary investigation indicated alcohol could possibly have been a factor, but the family says they do not believe that. "My belief is she was not drinking. If she was drinking, she should still be in custody, but she's out of custody. I've been hearing a lot of negativity concerning the accident. A lot of people are saying she must have been drunk. How could you hit a parked truck? Why were the kids out at that time? But I mean, it's Christmas, you're dealing with family, and you get home a little late," Tribune said.

Tribune says he was with Brianna and her mother on Christmas Eve, and the family spent quality time together. "I still can't believe it, and it's very hard for us to still deal with knowing 24 hours ago, we were all together, celebrating Christmas. Then, the tragedy comes later on that night. It really hurts," Tribune said.

Brianna's family says her five-year-old sister's condition is improving, and she is no longer in critical condition. Meanwhile, police say the girls' mother, Brandy Allen, was taken into custody and released. No charges have been filed in this incident.