Family leaving neighborhood immediately after 4-year-old shot

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- A four-year-old boy was shot on Tuesday night, April 30th, and though he survived his wounds, his family has decided they will not stay in the neighborhood another night. This, as a vigil was held by loved ones and those in the community who are all calling for an end to the violence.

“We all thought they was firecrackers, so we didn’t move at first," Rosemary Franklin said.

Around 10:00 on the warm, Tuesday night, Franklin and her daughter Jassmine Mulbah were outside with Mulbah's kids, enjoying the weather while sitting on their porch on 40th Street near Chambers.

“Usually he’s in there watching TV. It was not like him to be out at 10 o’clock at night. That’s not usual at all," Mulbah said.

What was also unusual was the situation they found themselves in when they heard strange sounds.

“We thought they was firecrackers," Mulbah said.

“I just happened to look across the street and I could see the fire coming out. I could see it coming off the barrel of the gun," Franklin said.

“My mom grabbed him and I have my one-year-old daughter. We grabbed her and we ran up in the house," Mulbah said.

Once they got inside, Mulbah realized everything wasn't okay with her four-year-old son Jhamarion.

“He was just screaming Grammy, Grammy, Grammy! And that’s when we saw the blood just start dripping out," Mulbah said.

Jhamarion had been hit once in the arm and once near his rib cage by bullets.

“Crazy, I didn’t know what to do. I panicked," Franklin said.

Jhamarion was taken to the hospital, where he was treated and released.

“Thank God he’s home and thank God like it didn’t kill him because he could be gone today," Mulbah said.

Even with police adding cameras to the neighborhood on Wednesday, the family is leaving after a vigil Wednesday night in Jhamarion's honor.

“I’m moving on. She’s moving, the mother’s moving and I’m moving. We getting out of here. Before night, we’ll be gone. Today, today. I’ve got keys, she’s got keys, we out," Franklin said.

About a dozen people attended Wednesday night's vigil near the scene.

No one is in custody in connection with the shooting at this time.