Couple to stand trial in death of five-year-old boy

MILWAUKEE -- A couple charged in the death of a five-year-old boy appeared in court Monday morning, November 5th. Alyssa Banda, the mother of Jayden Banda-Goodman, waived her right to a preliminary hearing. Her boyfriend, Marcos Colin did not waive his hearing.

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office has ruled the death of Jayden Banda-Goodman a homicide. Details from the autopsy match much of the information released in the criminal complaint against Alyssa Banda and Colin.

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner determined Jayden Banda-Goodman “died of injuries suffered at the hands of another.”

An autopsy determined Jayden Banda-Goodman died as a result of blunt force trauma.

The Medical Examiner determined the child suffered from a severe blood infection that resulted from stool leaking out from a "perforated intestine." According to the Medical Examiner's report, Jayden Banda-Goodman also sustained "an injury to the femoral artery." The origin of that injury was not determined.

Alyssa Banda told investigators that on October 16th, she noticed a bruise on her son's left cheek. The following day, she discovered bruises all over the boy's torso. She told detectives she asked Colin, who was home alone with the child both days, how the boy got the bruises. Colin said he was jabbing the boy with boxing gloves to "toughen him up."

On October 19th, Alyssa Banda told police Jayden Banda-Goodman went to pick up socks off the floor when he sat down next to the couch and "did not look right." 

When Colin and Alyssa Banda took Jayden to St. Francis Hospital, Colin did not want to go into the hospital. The complaint indicates "he was scared." The complaint indicates before going into the hospital, Colin apparently did a Google search on his phone regarding concussions and asked about the condition of Jayden's pupils and whether or not his legs were cold.

A certified child abuse specialist reviewed the injuries suffered by Jayden. Dr. Angela Rabbit concluded that the multiple injuries suffered by Jayden "would have entailed punches using abusive force."

During Alyssa Banda's brief appearance in court Monday, she sobbed loudly along with relatives seated in the gallery. Colin did not show any emotion during his hearing.

At the time of Jayden Banda-Goodman's death, Colin reportedly had an order of protection filed against him, stemming from a case of domestic violence involving Banda.

Alyssa Banda and Marcos Colin each face one count of child neglect resulting in death. Colin also faces charges of physical abuse of a child and bail jumping.

If convicted on the charges, Banda faces up to 25 years in prison and $100,000 in fines. Colin faces up to 40 years in prison.

Colin is due back in court for arraignment November 12th.

Alyssa Banda's next court appearance is set for November 14th.