Corned beef with apple-onion sauté: recipe
Angelica Horkan with the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to share a recipe for corned beef with apple-onion sauté.
- 1 Corned Beef Brisket Boneless with seasoning packet (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 medium McIntosh apple, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Heat oven to 350°F. Place Corned Beef Brisket in roasting pan; place coarsely chopped onion and garlic around brisket. Sprinkle contents of seasoning packet over brisket. Add 1-1/2 cups cider; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Braise in 350°F oven 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
Meanwhile, prepare Apple-Onion Sauté. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion wedges; cook 13 to 15 minutes or until onions are lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Add apples, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, cider, brown sugar and thyme; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender.
Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with Apple-Onion Sauté.