Chemistry teacher burned, science wing evacuated

STOUGHTON (AP) -- A chemistry teacher is home recovering after burning her hand when a science experiment went awry at Stoughton High School.

Superintendent Tim Onsager says the female teacher was conducting a routine experiment to show how chemical reactions happen when a "flash'' happened Monday morning, September 10th.

Onsager says the teacher burned her right palm. She was treated and released from University Hospital.

Some students were showing signs of smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital as a precaution. Eventually the entire classroom of about 25 students was checked out at the hospital as a precaution. They have since been released to their parents.

The superintendent says there was no evacuation, and the smoke alarms didn't even go off.

Workers are cleaning the classroom. There was no damage.