CHARGED: Sheboygan parents accused of passing out on bridge, leaving daughter to fend for herself

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY (WITI) -- Two Sheboygan parents are charged -- accused of passing out on a bridge, and leaving their two-year-old daughter to fend for herself.

25-year-old Robert Alegria faces a charge of obstructing an officer, and child neglect as party to a crime.

34-year-old Brandy Dickey faces one charge of child neglect as party to a crime.

A criminal complaint filed against these parents says on Sunday, November 9th, just after 6:15 p.m., Sheboygan police were dispatched to the 900 block of S. 8th Street for a report of a two-year-old child screaming after that child was apparently left unattended on the 8th Street bridge.

Upon arrival, the complaint says police found Alegria and Dickey passed out, along with a two-year-old child, who appeared to be sleeping on top of Alegria.

An officer tried to wake all three, but was unable to receive any response.

Eventually, Alegria woke and attempted to stand up, but struggled due to the two-year-old child that was on top of him and the fact that he appeared to be highly intoxicated, according to the complaint.

The complaint says a strong odor of intoxicants was coming from Alegria, and as he attempted to stand up, he almost fell several times.

When Dickey woke up, the complaint says she was slurring her speech, and was speaking very slowly. An officer could smell an odor of intoxicants coming from Dickey as well.

In speaking with Alegria and Dickey, police learned they had come to the area to go fishing, and they had been drinking at a bar.

As police tried to convince Alegria to allow them to care for his daughter as the investigation proceeded, the complaint says Alegria refused to comply, and told police to leave the girl alone -- using vulgarities toward the officer.

The complaint says police determined Alegria was a risk to his daughter's safety, as he continued to hold onto her while he was unstead on his feet -- nearly losing his balance to the point where police had to work to prevent him from falling.

Police had to physically pull the girl out of Alegria's arms, according to the complaint.

The two-year-old girl was taken to the hospital for observation. There, the complaint says the girl informed police that she was very cold, and that she had been outside for a long time.