WASHINGTON (WITI) -- Washington firefighters were able to rescue a family from a fire at a mobile home -- a very small, furry family. Firefighters put their animal rescue training into action -- using a makeshift oxygen mask and bag to save a family of hamsters!
Firefighters were called out to the mobile home on Friday afternoon, September 26th.
FOX6's sister station, KTLA reports a preliminary investigating showed an electrical fire started when a woman turned on her clothes dryer and then left for a friend's house.
KTLA reports the woman returned home shortly after firefighters began fighting the fire, and informed them her children were at school -- but their pet hamsters were inside.
Firefighters found two adult hamsters and their three babies next to a marriage certificate filled out using crayons, according to KTLA.
“Apparently they were married. The family had made a marriage certificate for Oreo and Madonna. It was pretty cute,” Lacey Fire District 3 Battalion Chief Tim Hulse said.
The adult hamsters appeared to be okay -- but two baby hamsters were sluggish, and one wasn't moving.
Standard oxygen tubing was placed over one hamsters face and two others were put into a plastic bag that was pumped with oxygen.
These firefighters are trained and specially equipped to care for animals that have been rescued from a house fire.
We're told four of the hamsters were saved. One of the babies, unfortunately, didn't make it.
CLICK HERE for more on this story via KTLA.