ACCUSED OF MURDER: Three men will stand trial in Kenosha County

KENOSHA (WITI) -- FOX6 News has learned three men charged in connection with the shooting death of Anthony Edwards in Kenosha will stand trial in the case.

The three men charged in the case are 20-year-old Brandon Horak, 22-year-old Joseph-Jamal Brantley, and 19-year-old Markese Tibbs.

Brandon Horak

Horak faces a felony murder charge (in commission of armed robbery) as party to a crime.

Brantly faces four charges — including first degree reckless homicide, armed robbery, first degree recklessly endangering safety and carrying a concealed weapon.

Tibbs faces three charges — including first degree reckless homicide, armed robbery and first degree recklessly endangering safety.

Kenosha police on April 14th responded to the area of 65th and Sheridan Road for a reported shooting and car crash.

There, they discovered 20-year-old Anthony Edwards of Kenosha dead.

Police say Edwards was driving a car — and ended up driving the car into a home.

Police believe the shooting occurred in the area of 58th Street and 11th Avenue.

A criminal complaint in the case against Brantley and Tibbs says law enforcement officials spoke with Edwards’ cousin — who was a passenger in the vehicle Edwards was driving and subsequently crashed into the home.

That individual told officials he and Edwards had planned to meet up with two men in the area of 58th Street and 11th Avenue to sell them marijuana, according to the complaint.

Edwards’ cousin told officials they arrived in the area — and two men approached the vehicle, and Edwards asked them if they had the money.

The complaint says Edwards’ cousin told officials Tibbs showed them the money, and Edwards then showed them the marijuana. The complaint says Brantley and Tibbs began arguing — and Edwards’ cousin told officials Brantley reached into the window and struck Edwards in the face — before pulling out a handgun and pressing the gun to the right side of Edwards’ face, saying “Or you can just give me it” — referring to the bag of marijuana.

The complaint says Brantley reached into the vehicle and took the bag of marijuana from Edwards’ lap — and Edwards put the car into gear and began to accelerate.
Edwards’ cousin told officials they got about five feet before he heard gunshots. Edwards then reported he had been shot in the lung, according to his cousin.
The complaint says Edwards’ cousin told officials Edwards continued to drive and began to lose consciousness — eventually crashing the vehicle into a home on Sheridan Road.

Law enforcement officials were able to track footprints in fresh snow from the location where the shooting occurred to an apartment on 59th Street — and Brantley and Tibbs were taken into custody.

The complaint says Tibbs initially denied being involved in the incident — but later admitted to it.

Tibbs told officials he had over $100 in his hand as he and Brantley approached Edwards’ vehicle — and he says he was planning on buying a quarter bag. Tibbs told officials Brantley was undecided as to whether he was going to join in on the purchase, according to the complaint.

The complaint says Tibbs told officials Brantley asked to see the bag again — before pulling out a handgun and saying “Let me get that” — referring to the bag of marijuana.

Tibbs says the car started to peel off, and he heard the gunshots.

Tibbs told officials he ran to the apartment on 59th Street — and says Brantley eventually showed up there as well. Tibbs says Horak — also at the apartment said “I think you just killed the dude,” and Tibbs says Brantley said “no, no, I missed,” according to the complaint.

Shortly thereafter, Tibbs says the police showed up.

A search warrant was executed on the apartment on 59th Street — and police found a Guardian .32 caliber revolver hidden in a drop ceiling.

The criminal complaint says Horak told police Brantley and Tibbs wanted to rob someone — and established a plan to do so.

The complaint says Horak told officials he made arrangements to have Edwards and his cousin come over to the area.

Horak says Brantley and Tibbs left — Brantley with the revolver in his pocket. Horak says he himself went out onto the porch — and later saw Edwards’ car speeding away and heard the gunshots, according to the complaint.

Horak told officials he got a text message from Edwards’ cousin saying: “You killed my cousin.” The man told officials he told Brantley Edwards was dead — and Brantley said: “I shot and saw a spark but there was no way I hit them,” according to the complaint. Horak says Brantley offered him money not to go to the police.

A Medical Examiner determined Edwards died as a result of a single gunshot wound to his left back.

Brantley and Tibbs have made their initial court appearances in the case.

Horak made his on Thursday, April 24th — and a prosecutor and a judge talked about the felony murder charge against him.

“It’s a very serious charge — appears to be very strong evidence against (Horak),” the prosecutor said during Horak’s court appearance Thursday.

“It was something that was preconceived. Mr. Horak was an active participant in the planning and the setting up of this situation that ultimately resulted in the death of an individual,” the judge said in court Thursday.

The people who were to be robbed, he convinced them to come to a certain location for the purpose of having them be robbed. He knew that one of his co-actors had a revolver with him when he left,” the prosecutor said.