11 taken to hospital due to carbon monoxide fumes at Playmakers

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Fire officials say 11 people were taken to St. Luke's Medical Center after they were exposed to carbon monoxide fumes at the Playmakers Sports Center, located in the 5300 block of W. Fond du Lac Avenue.

Officials say workers on Monday, July 15th were trying to remove carpeting using a propane fueled tool, which started emitting fumes.

An employee at the store passed out, and this prompted the store to call the fire department. Fire officials then discovered elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building.

The building was evacuated and ventilated, and 11 were taken to the hospital. The 11 men were placed into a hyperbaric chamber, pressurized with oxygen to provide extra oxygen to the brain and remove the carbon monoxide.

All of the men taken to the hospital were listed in fair condition. Their ages range from 26-50.

Officials say most of those transported were carpet removal workers, and the rest were store employees.