BEAVER DAM -- Just in time for National Doughnut Day -- Julie Andrews from Beaver Dam joins FOX6 WakeUp with a delicious, heart-healthy doughnut recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together 1/2 cup avocado and the egg until smooth. Add the sugar substitute. Beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
4. Whisk in 1 cup milk, the oil, and vanilla until incorporated.
5. Pour the avocado mixture into the flour mixture. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to stir in any of the dry mixture that remains on the sides or bottom of the bowl.
6. Lightly spray a 12-cavity doughnut pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the wells, filling each three-fourths full (about 1/4 cup in each). Don`t cover the center hole.
7. Bake for 13 to 16 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly.
8. Place a large wire rack on a large baking sheet. Turn out the doughnuts onto the rack.
9. In a small bowl, microwave the cacao on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave. Stir until fully melted.
10. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/4 cup avocado into the cacao until very smooth. Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons milk.
11. Spread 1 tablespoon of glaze over the top of each doughnut. Sprinkle with the pistachios.