MILWAUKEE -- Eggs aren't just for breakfast anymore! Registered dietitian with Fresh Thyme Farmers Market, Meghan Sedivy, joins FOX6 WakeUp with some tasty ways you can use eggs any time of the day.
1. Eggcellent Appetizers
Dyed and Deviled Egg
1. For dye, in a small saucepan, combine water and cabbage, beets, or turmeric. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium glass bowl; discard solids. Stir vinegar into liquid. (For blue eggs, add the baking soda to the red cabbage liquid.)
2. Submerge peeled, hard-boiled eggs in dye. Refrigerate 20 to 40 minutes or until desired color intensity; rotate eggs in dye occasionally to color evenly. Remove eggs from dye and pat dry with paper towels. Discard dye.
3. Meanwhile, for prosciutto crisps, preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange prosciutto slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool. Break cooled prosciutto into bite-size pieces; set aside.
4. For filling, cut dyed eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and transfer to a medium bowl. Set whites aside. Mash yolks with a wire whisk or fork. Add yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, and onion salt; stir until smooth. Season to taste with white pepper.
5. Pipe or spoon filling into halved whites. Cover and refrigerate until serving time (up to 8 hours). Top eggs with prosciutto crisps. Garnish with paprika and onion tops.
2. Easy Egg Wrap for Lunch
Mediterranean Chicken Egg Wrap Recipe
1. Spoon 1 Tbsp. of hummus onto each Egglife wrap. Top each with 3 oz. grilled chicken, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 2 Tbsp. cucumber, 1 heaping Tbsp. cheese crumbles, 1 Tbsp. olives, and 1/4 of the red onion. Drizzle each with 1 tsp. dressing.
2. Roll up Egglife wrap around fillings and serve.
3. Superfood Your Supper
Mexican Shakshuka Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium cast-iron skillet, bring salsa and beans to a simmer over medium-high heat. Make four wells in salsa mixture and gently crack an egg into each one. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until egg whites are firm and yolks are still a little runny.
3. Top with avocado and grape tomatoes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately. If desired, serve with tortilla chips or flour tortillas.