Bharti Sanghavi has a new book called "Beyond the Curry". The book is filled with delicious recipes. Watch Bharti on FOX6 WakeUp as she makes a delicious dish from her book.
Recipe: Chickpeas with Spinach--palak chhole
Fresh spinach is what makes this bean dish marvelous. The healthy spinach combined with the protein-filled chickpeas makes it very nutritious fare. This North Indian-style curry dish goes very well with any Indian bread. It’s perfect to serve at any meal and can also be served when entertaining.
1. Prepare chickpeas and potato separately. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium-sized heavy pot over high heat.
3. When oil is hot, add garlic and sauté until transparent.
4. Add cumin seeds.
5. When cumin seeds pop up, add garam masala, turmeric powder, and coriander/ cumin powder mix. Sauté for 5 seconds.
6. Add 2 cups of water, spinach, salt, and red chili powder and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add mashed potato and mix well.
8. Add chickpeas and 1⁄4 cup water. Mix well.
9. Add tomato paste and mix well.
10. Add lemon juice and cook for 4 minutes.
11. Serve hot.
makes 5 cups.
*available at all Indian grocery stores or iShopIndian.com