Walker decision on Kenosha casino could come this week



KENOSHA (WITI) -- The 60-day deadline Governor Scott Walker set for the Kenosha casino decision came and went on Friday, October 25th with no result. Now the Governor says a decision could be made as early as this week.

"This is a really big decision and we want to make sure we fully understand all the implications," said Gov. Walker.

Gov. Walker's decision is whether or not to approve the Menominee Tribe's $800 million project which had its criteria set two years ago -- no new net gaming, consensus among all 11 Wisconsin tribes, and community support.

"Any advantage he gets on one side of the decision becomes a disadvantage on the other side of the decision," said UWM Professor Mordecai Lee.

Kenosha business leaders have thrown their support behind the project, viewing it as an opportunity for economic development.

"It will create 5,000 new direct and indirect jobs, 1,400 construction jobs," said John Camosi with Kenosha Contractors.

Finding consensus among the tribes continues to be a challenge. Both the Ho-Chunk and Potawatomi Tribes are against the casino. They believe it could harm their existing business.

The Menominee, however, presented a plan last week which included a legal argument that tribal compacts already meet the consensus standard.

"What we're saying is by signing the compact agreement, they consented to the Kenosha project," said Chairman Craig Corn.

Gov. Walker responded to the Menominee Tribe's plan saying, "we set the criteria in advance. They're made a very complex legal argument. I think they deserve all the time to fully comprehend that, so time wise, 60 days was a target but given the significance of the decision, it's worth it to spend the extra time."