Racine duplex damaged following early morning fire

RACINE (WITI) -- The South Shore Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire on Southwood Drive in the City of Racine early Thursday morning, February 27th.

The request came from the Racine Fire Department, as they were involved in a fire at Mitchell Elementary School.

Upon arrival, crews found an active fire in a two-story, side-by-side duplex.

Officials say heavy smoke was coming out of one window on the first floor of the structure, and heavy smoke was exiting from numerous windows on the first and second floors.

The fire was under control in about 30 minutes.

The south half of the duplex, where the fire originated, sustained serious fire, heat and smoke damage to both first and second floors. The unit is unlivable at this time.

The north half of the duplex sustained only minor smoke damage.

Authorities say all occupants had self-evacuated before the arrival of the fire department units. There were no reports of injuries to either civilians or firefighting personnel.

The fire caused $40,000 in damage to the structure and $10,000 in damage to contents.

The cause of the fire is due to unattended cooking.