Erik Mendoza
MILWAUKEE - Erik Mendoza, the last of two people accused in the death of 5-year-old Prince McCree in October 2023, entered a plea of guilty on Monday, Feb. 16.
Mendoza had previously faced six charges. On Monday, he pleaded guilty to five of those charges, including first-degree intentional homicide and second-degree recklessly endangering safety. A sixth charge, physical abuse of a child, repeated acts causing death, was dismissed and read into the court record for the purposes of sentencing.
In July 2024, then-27-year-old David Pietura was sentenced to life in prison for McCree's death. He pleaded guilty to first-degree intentional homicide after reaching a deal with prosecutors.
Mendoza is scheduled to be sentenced on June. 5. The first-degree intentional homicide charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole. But considering Mendoza's mental health history and young age, prosecutors are recommending he serve at least 50 years in prison before being eligible for release.
Case details
What we know:
McCree had been last seen near 54th and Meinecke and reported missing Oct. 25, 2023. His body was found around 9 a.m. the next morning near Hawley and Vliet – roughly a mile from where he was last seen.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX6 News app for iOS or Android
Prosecutors said Pietura lived in the basement of the home where McCree and his family lived. On Oct. 25, prosecutors said McCree's mom let him go play video games in the basement. When she got up later, she could not find him and called the police.
Scene where Prince McCree's body was found in a dumpster
While searching the home, a police K-9 smelled decomposition on some sweatshirts, prosecutors said. A detective also noticed blood. A criminal complaint said Pietura initially denied any involvement.
Prosecutors said Pietura told police he walked in on Erik Mendoza choking and beating McCree. Mendoza told police he was playing with McCree and got rough, according to the complaint, allegedly choking the 5-year-old and hitting him with a golf club multiple times. The criminal complaint details other gruesome abuse the boy endured before his death.
David Pietura
When police interviewed Pietura, he said he was playing video games and then went on a walk with Mendoza. Pietura said they walked to a park and got back around 2 p.m. Prosecutors said GPS from Pietura's cellphone contradicts that information, and police arrested Pietura for obstruction at that point.
SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, breaking news emails from FOX6 News
Surveillance footage from the day McCree was last seen alive also shows Pietura and Mendoza walking in an alley near Cherry Street around 2 p.m. They are seen carrying a white garbage bag, according to court filings. The next day, around 7:45 a.m. in an interview with police, Pietura admitted where McCree's body was. An hour later, McCree's body was found.
Erik Mendoza
Prosecutors said both Pietura and Mendoza took part in the crime.
Prince McCree homicide: David Pietura sentenced to life in prison
The Milwaukee man convicted in the death of Prince McCree, whose body was later found in a dumpster, was sentenced to life in prison on Friday.
The Source: Information in this post was provided by Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, the criminal complaint associated with the case, and previous FOX6 News coverage.