Morning fire in Racine attributed to careless smoking

RACINE (WITI) -- Racine Fire officials on Wednesday morning, February 12th responded to a fire that occurred at a building with two residential units and an auto repair garage.

The fire broke out just before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at a building on Taylor Avenue.

Officials say the fire broke out at 1642 Taylor and spread to 1638 Taylor, and can be attributed to careless use of smoking materials. A tenant told officials he had fallen asleep while smoking in his bed and woke up to flames on his mattress.

The fire caused $20,000 in damage to 1642 Taylor and $10,000 in damage to 1638 Taylor.

No one was injured.

Officials say a tenant was able to self-evacuate, but a dog died in the fire. Several other animals were removed from the fire.

Officials say because the fire damaged the floor joists, the residence is uninhabitable until repairs can be made.

The Red Cross has made temporary living arrangements for those affected.

The auto repair garage was not damaged.