Kenosha casino proposal awaits Gov. Scott Walker's decision



MADISON (WITI) -- Tribal and business leaders who want gaming in Kenosha met with Gov. Scott Walker on Wednesday, October 23rd. They're trying to convince him that approving the casino project could mean a jobs jackpot.

The chairmen of Hard Rock International and the Menominee Tribe met with Gov. Walker for more than an hour.

"It's a win-win situation, you know?  It's an opportunity to help 8,860 tribal members -- over half of our membership lives below poverty.   He has a chance to change Menominee's history forever," said Craig Corn of the Menominee Tribe.

The tribe wants to build a Hard Rock casino in Kenosha at the old Dairyland Greyhound Park. Tribal officials say the $800 million in revenue would create more than 5,000 jobs.

Gov. Walker says the plan must meet three criteria for his approval: no new net gaming, consensus among the state's 11 tribes, and community support.

So far, nine tribes are on board. But the Potawatomi and Ho-Chunk are against it. Ho-Chunk wants to build its own casino in Beloit. Potawatomi says it could lose jobs and revenue from the competition.

The decision on whether to allow the Kenosha casino might hinge on what the governor views as tribal consensus. The Menominee believe it has unanimous approval because of language in its tribal compacts.

"What we're saying is, by signing the compact agreement they consented to the Kenosha project," said Corn.

A spokesman says, "The Potawatomi cannot support this Kenosha casino application because of the corruption associated with it and the hundreds of millions of dollars that will be sent to the out-of-state gambling interested invested in the project."

Hard Rock International's Chairman Jim Allen says that is rumor and gossip. He says the Kenosha casino has offered to reimburse Potawatomi for lost profits. But the two sides aren't even talking.

"First they would have to sit down and meet with us, and like Chairman Allen said, there was an offer to make 'em whole," said Corn.

The governor will now review the 50-page plan and make his final decision by the end of the week.