TSA PreCheck still operational after previous announcement of suspension during shutdown

Loading Video…

This browser does not support the Video element.

TSA PreCheck temporarily suspended

AS the partial government shutdown continues, DHS is suspending TSA PreCheck and Global Entry.

The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that its PreCheck program would remain operational, despite an announcement earlier this weekend that TSA PreCheck and Global Entry were being suspended amid the partial government shutdown. 

What they're saying:

"As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly," the agency said Sunday.

The backstory:

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement Saturday night that "shutdowns have serious real-world consequences." She said that "TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts."

Passengers walk through the entrance of a TSA PreCheck in Terminal 1 at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago on Feb. 1, 2017, in Chicago. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Big picture view:

TSA PreCheck and Global Entry are programs designed to help speed travelers through security.

TSA employees still working 

Around 95% of TSA's employees are considered "essential," according to the agency. This means that during a shutdown, they are required to continue working without pay.

The longer a shutdown goes on, call-outs from employees become more common, the agency stated.

"Higher call-outs can result in longer wait times at checkpoints, leading to missed or delayed flights, which has a cascading negative impact on the American economy," according to TSA. 

Partial government shutdown continues 

Dig deeper:

The partial government shutdown began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: 

What's next:

Congress is in recess until Feb. 23.

The Source: Information for this story came from the Associated Press, which cited the Department of Homeland Security. Previous FOX 11 reports contributed. 

PoliticsTravel NewsInstastories