Racine apartment building uninhabitable after fire, Red Cross assisting

RACINE -- Racine fire officials say a fire caused $250,000 in damage to a home early Saturday, May 30th.

It happened just after 7:30 a.m. at Regency West Apartments in the 2200 block of Loni Lane.

The fire started on the first floor patio, and traveled to the unit above.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire.

Adjoining units suffered water damage -- and the building has been deemed uninhabitable.

Residents are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross. Red Cross officials say they are assisting a total of 30 people from the eight-unit building.

The fire caused $250,000 in damage to the structure, and $75,000 in damage to contents.

Fire officials initially believed this fire was started as a result of the improper disposal of charcoal, but that is no longer believed to be the case.

The fire is classified as accidental, and an investigation is ongoing.