New details in Waukesha officer-involved shooting

WAUKESHA (WITI) -- The Waukesha County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday, April 24th released some additional details on two officers involved in a shooting that occurred on Sunday, April 21st in the 500 block of Spring Crest Circle.

A 44-year-old man was shot and wounded by Waukesha officers early Sunday, April 21st after officials say he lunged at them with knives. The incident happened just before 2 a.m.

Officers from the Waukesha Police Department and Deputies from the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department, including K-9, were first called to the home to investigate a possible suicidal subject. The callers advised that the man had refused voluntary mental health assistance earlier in the day and had talked about jumping off a bridge.

The callers, an elderly couple, were in the residence with the subject when the officers arrived. The callers advised that the subject had armed himself with knives and that he had threatened to “cut throats.” The subject called the Waukesha Police Department Dispatch Center and stated that he was holding a male hostage and that he was armed with two knives. The female caller was able to exit the residence.

Suddenly, the subject exited the residence armed with two knives.

"He immediately charged at officers and disregarded their commands to drop the knives," Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said.

Officers were forced to shoot in defense of their lives. The subject was then stabilized and given immediate medical attention by officers and the Waukesha Fire Department. This medical attention included transportation to Froedtert Hospital via Flight for Life.

The suspect is in critical condition but expected to survive. Charges could be filed against him as early as Monday, April 22nd. The callers and officers were not injured in the incident.

The Waukesha County Sheriff's Office has said the two officers directly involved in this incident include a 37-year-old male officer in his 13th year on the department, and a 41-year-old female officer in her 13th year of service.

Per standard procedure, all the officers and deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave.

"Based on the initial investigation all officers acted within state law, training and department policy," noted Chief Jack.

The District Attorney was on scene Sunday, April 21st and is conducting his own investigation.