Man in custody after fleeing Racine Co. Sheriff's deputies several times, hours long search involving K-9s

RACINE (WITI) -- A Racine County Sheriff's K-9 unit was able to apprehend a suspect after that suspect fled following a traffic stop early Thursday morning, November 27th.

It began just after midnight. Sheriff's deputies responded to I-94 northbound at the 331.1 mile marker to assist the Wisconsin State Patrol with a traffic stop.

A Wisconsin State Trooper advised he believed an occupant sitting behind the driver in a vehicle had provided false information -- and as the Trooper made contact with the vehicle, an individual sitting on the passenger's side bolted from the vehicle.

A brief foot pursuit ensued, and Sheriff's deputies lost sight of the individual who fled from the vehicle.

A search was conducted utilizing a Sheriff's deputy and his K-9 "Nitro" and another Sheriff's deputy and his K-9 "Friday." They were unable to locate the individual.

A short time later, a deputy observed the individual in a vehicle -- and a traffic stop was made on I-94 northbound, near mile marker 331.2.

As deputies attempted to handcuff the individual, he broke away -- running westbound across I-94.

Once again, after a brief foot pursuit, officials lost sight of the individual.

A Sheriff's deputy and K-9 "Friday" tracked the individual for over a mile, before losing the track. At this time, it was believed the individual was running without a jacket, and with only one shoe.

Five hours after the initial traffic stop -- shortly before 5:30 a.m., the Racine County Communications Center received a call of a suspicious person near the intersection of 3 Mile Road and West Frontage Road. Officials learned the individual appeared to have rags on his feet, and he wasn't wearing a jacket.

When deputies arrived in the area, the individual was gone.

Around 5:45 a.m., the Racine County Communications Center received another call -- with the caller indicating the suspicious person was at the Pilot Truck Stop near County Highway K and East Frontage Road. Deputies arrived, and the individual fled again.

A deputy and K-9 "Friday" again conducted an extensive search.

This time, the individual was able to be apprehended by officials. He was taken into custody shortly after 6:00 a.m.

The suspect was treated for weather-related injuries.

Sheriff's officials say their investigation is ongoing.